In this episode of Grazing Grass Podcast, Cal talks with Joshua Ayers of Ayers Valley Farm about his beef cattle hogs and pastured poultry. Joshua was born and raised in Ohio. He and his wife have a pasture operation and specialize in grass-fed beef, pasture-raised pork, and pasture-raised chicken. They ship the meats all over the United States and have been in the business since 2017.
In this episode, a new section called The Overgrazing Section is also added where Cal takes a deep dive into one of the practices of the guests.
Listen to learn more!
- [02:50] – The start of Joshua’s business
- [07:23] – What led him to South Poll cattle
- [09:46] – The climate in Southern Ohio
- [11:49] – Stockpiling fescue
- [12:57] – Angus cow and Cal
- [14:09] – Trouble with electric fences
- [15:31] – What fencing does Josh have
- [17:06] – Joshua’s perimeter for electric fencing
- [18:52] – How he does watering
- [20:03] – The grazing land for cattle
- [21:00] – Siphoning water line
- [22:39] – Other livestock Joshua has
- [23:03] – About the business of hogs
- [25:20] – His pasture poultry business
- [25:35] – Chicken tractor he uses
- [26:00] – How did it go with the chicken this year
- [26:24] – How he does marketing
- [27:28] – The Overgrazing Section- about his solar fence charger
- [29:27] – Moving with paddock moves
- [33:36] – His favorite grazing grass related book
- [35:00] – Advice for beginning grass farmer
video coming soon
transcript coming soon
Your information could be here. Email Cal at GrazingGrass.com for more information.
Products Mentioned in Podcast
- Stafix X3 Energizer Solar Kit (from AmericanGrazingLands.com)
- Comeback Farms by Greg Judy (Amazon*)