In this episode of The Grazing Grass podcast, Cal talks with Daniel Griffith of Timshel Wildland about his journey to holistic management and the happenings on Timshel Wildland. His mission is to unify both conventional nature conservation and regenerative farming. They also discussed his forthcoming book Wild Like Flowers.
Listen to this episode to learn more!
- [00:52] – About Daniel and his operation
- [04:42] – Using the hogs for ecosystem succession
- [05:29] – His background
- [07:41] – The initiation of his journey to regenerative agriculture
- [11:42] – Why did he get sheep and pigs
- [12:49] – Using hogs and sheep to control unwanted plants in the ecosystem
- [14:38] – About his Irish Dexter cattle
- [16:32] – Managing the livestock
- [20:18] – There’s no reason to overwork when the cows are the drivers of the ecosystem succession
- [21:08] – Change in the ecosystem
- [23:33] – Turning emergent ecosystems into resilient ecosystems
- [24:42] – Receding toxic weeds
- [25:07] – Fescue toxicity
- [27:05] – Decision-making framework
- [28:25] – Holistic management of cows
- [29:15] – Creating a holistic grazing chart
- [32:50] – Using poly wire and step-in posts
- [37:05] – About Daniel’s book
- [44:26] – His vision for the book
- [52:17] – Where to find Daniel’s book
- [53:30] – His favorite grazing grass related book
- [55:52] – Advice to new farmers
video coming soon
transcript coming soon
Your information could be here. Email Cal at GrazingGrass.com for more information.
Wild Like Flowers
Pre-order now at
- Daniel’s Website
- Barnes and Noble
- The book will be released fully through Amazon on March 1st.
- One note — if you preorder and send their receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org, you will receive a special gift (commissioned plein air oil painting of our Wildland) and free chapter of the book.
- Holistic Management by Allan Savory (Amazon*)
- A Sand County Almanac (Outdoor Essays & Reflections) by Aldo Leopold (Amazon*)
- A Sand County Almanac: And Sketches Here and There by Aldo Leopold (Amazon*)