In this episode of The Grazing Grass podcast, Cal talks with Chuck Trowbridge from Prairie Farmstead about his journey, running stockers, watering systems, and no-till. From New York to Wisconsin to Texas, Chuck describes his journey from books to raising stockers.
Listen to this episode to learn more!
- [01:11] – About Chuck and his operation
- [06:18] – Introduction to agriculture through the movie Food Inc
- [08:10] – Getting paid to read farm books
- [09:30] – Finding the land to set up a farm
- [16:46] – Getting help from Noble Research Institute of Ardmore
- [18:03] – Going natural and feeding no supplements to the cows
- [21:30] – Rotating the cows daily
- [23:50] – Getting monthly grazing fees income
- [25:06] – The process of custom grazing on leased land
- [26:19] – The watering system he has
- [27:28] – The trick for drawing out water from the pond
- [34:24] – The climate in texas
- [38:02] – How to maximize growth with native forages
- [39:59] – The predominant summer forage there
- [43:29] – The green cover seed website
- [50:28] – Getting legumes through perennial ryegrass and crimson clover
- [52:36] – His favorite grazing grass related book
- [55:12] – Advice to new farmers
transcript coming soon
Your information could be here. Email Cal at GrazingGrass.com for more information.
Products Mentioned in Podcast
- Movie: Food, Inc.
- Plasson quick connects
- Smart Mix Calculator at Green Cover Seed
- Working Cow Podcast
- You Can Farm by Joel Salatin (Amazon*)
- Salad Bar Beef by Joel Salatin (Amazon*)
- No Risk Ranching by Greg Judy (Amazon*)
- Comeback Farms by Greg Judy (Amazon*)
- Stockman Grass Farmer magazine
- Dirt to Soil by Gabe Brown (Amazon*)